Electric fireplaces have been known to be safer than owning a gas or traditional fireplace. However, there are still safety concerns regarding them. Similar to all electronics, an electric fireplace is connected to a power plug to function. While this is much cleaner and safer than burning chunks of firewood to generate an open flame, there are still possibilities of short-circuiting and combustion when the wires are faulty. Here are some safety precautions to consider when getting an electric fireplace.
Just like any other electrical appliances, prevent from getting the unit soaked with water by keeping liquids away from the heater. Remember to always plug the cord off before removing the heater and refrain from tugging the cord at a distance. Replace any worn out wiring before using the fireplace. And as always, be sure to that the safety cover is positioned correctly before switching the heater on.
Educate Children about Heater Safety
Even with the best electric fireplaces, all appliances that generate high temperatures of heat may cause burns when touched. It is advisable to teach young children where they should and should not touch when getting too close to an electric fireplace. The glass surfaces are cool to touch but prevent them from touching the area where the heat is dispersed to prevent any burns. Younger children may not even be able to comprehend your instructions. If this is the case, placing a protective firescreen in front of the heater will reduce the chance of any injuries from happening.
Remove Objects near the Heater
Objects must be placed at an appropriate distance away from the electric fireplace even though these units do not produce any embers. While most electric fireplaces are insulated, unpredicted short wirings may, unfortunately, start a potential fire and any items that are close to it could catch in flames and spread to the remainder of the room.